Toolkit Resource

Newcomers: Categories of Classification


The Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP)

The Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program is a provincially-run nominee program for potential newcomers to Saskatchewan. The program is intended to accelerate the immigration process for skilled workers, students, and entrepreneurs who can fill important positions in Saskatchewan’s economy that cannot be filled locally. There are multiple streams available to fit your needs:

International skilled worker:

  • Employment Offer: You already have an offer of employment in Saskatchewan.
  • Occupation In-demand: You have the skills to fill high demand occupations in Saskatchewan.
  • Saskatchewan Express Entry: You have applied through federal Express Entry.

Entrepreneur and farm categories

  • International Graduate Entrepreneur: You have graduated from an Saskatchewan post-secondary institution and you have the intent to start a business in the province.
  • Entrepreneur: You intend to start a business in the province.
  • Farm Owner and Operator: You intend to purchase and run a farm in Saskatchewan.

Worker with previous Saskatchewan work experience

  • Skilled worker with existing work permit
  • Semi-skilled agricultural worker with existing work permit
  • Health professionals
  • Hospitality sector project
  • Long-haul truck driver project
  • Students

A person is a Canadian citizen if:

  • They were born in Canada
  • They became a citizen through the naturalization process in Canada (i.e., they were a permanent resident before they became a citizen);
  • They were born outside Canada and one of their parents (legal parent at birth or biological parent) was either born in Canada or naturalized in Canada before they were born. The person in this case is the first generation born outside Canada;
  • A person may be a Canadian citizen if they were born outside Canada from January 1, 1947, up to and including April 16, 2009, to a Canadian parent who was also born outside Canada to a Canadian parent (in this case, the person is the second or subsequent generation born outside Canada).
  • A person may be a Canadian citizen if they were adopted outside Canada by a Canadian parent on or after January 1, 1947.

To become a Canadian citizen, most applicants must

  • be a permanent resident
  • have lived in Canada for at least 3 out of the last 5 years (1,095 days)
  • have filed your taxes, if you need to
  • pass a citizenship test
  • prove your language skills in English or French
  • Other requirements may apply.

Click here to see if you are eligible

Application process
  • Get Application
  • Pay Application
  • Send the

It takes approximately 12 months to process the application. This includes Citizenship test, interview and ceremony.


Who has to take the test and go to the interview?

Whether you have to take the test or go to the interview depends on your age and application.

Your age and situation Take the test Go to the interview
Adult 18 to 54 years of age Yes Yes
Adult 55 and over No Yes
Minor under 18 with a Canadian parent or a parent applying at the same time No No, except in some casesTable footnote*
Minor 14 to 17 without a Canadian parent or a parent applying at the same time No Yes
Minor under 14 without a Canadian parent or a parent applying at the same time No No, except in some casesTable footnote*

Table footnote*

We’ll only ask a minor to go to an interview if we have specific questions. Both the minor and the person who submitted the application for the minor must be present at the interview.


Refugee – a person who is forced to flee from persecution and who is located outside of their home country.

Convention refugee – a person who meets the refugee definition in the 1951 Geneva Convention relating to the Status of Refugees. This definition is used in Canadian law and is widely accepted internationally. To meet the definition, a person must be outside their country of origin and have a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion.

Refugee claimant or Asylum Seeker – a person who has fled their country and is asking for protection in another country. We don’t know whether a claimant is a refugee or not until their case has been decided.

Who can make a refugee claim

To make a refugee claim, you

  • must be in Canada
  • can’t be subject to a removal order

If you’re outside Canada, you may be eligible to

  • resettle in Canada as refugee
  • immigrate to Canada through one of our programs

If you make a refugee claim, we’ll decide if it can be referred to the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB). The IRB is an independent tribunal that makes decisions on immigration and refugee matters.

Your refugee claim may not be eligible to be referred to the IRB if you

  • Are recognized as a Convention refugee by another country that you can return to
  • Were granted protected person status in Canada
  • Arrived via the Canada–United States border
  • Have made a refugee claim in another country, as confirmed through information-sharing
  • Are not admissible to Canada on security grounds or because of criminal activity or human rights violations
  • Made a previous refugee claim that was not found eligible
  • Made a previous refugee claim that was rejected by the IRB
  • Abandoned or withdrew a previous refugee claim

The IRB decides who is a Convention refugee or a person in need of protection.

Convention refugees are outside their home country or the country they normally live in. They’re not able to return because of a well-founded fear of persecution based on

  • Race
  • Religion
  • Political opinion
  • Nationality
  • Being part of a social group, such as women or people of a particular sexual orientation

A person in need of protection is a person in Canada who can’t return to their home country safely. This is because, if they return, they may face

  • Danger of torture
  • Risk to their life
  • Risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment

The Private Sponsorship of Refugees (PSR) program lets private groups sponsor eligible refugees abroad. As the private sponsor, you’ll support a refugee for the sponsorship period, usually up to 1 year. The support you provide will include

  • Start-up costs, such as furniture and clothing
  • On-going monthly costs for basic necessities, including housing, food, and public transportation
  • Supporting refugees socially and emotionally

Groups that can sponsor refugees

You can’t sponsor a refugee on your own. You must be part of one of the following groups in Canada:

  • Sponsorship agreement holders (SAH) sign agreements with the Government of Canada to help support refugees when they come to Canada
    • Constituent Groups are groups who work with SAHs to sponsor refugees under the SAH’s agreement
  • Groups of Five are groups of 5 or more Canadian citizens or permanent residents who sponsor refugees to settle in their communities
  • Community Sponsors are organizations, associations or corporations that sponsor refugees